Press "Enter" to skip to content

Start Searching the Answers

The Internet has many places to ask questions about anything imaginable and find past answers on almost everything.

Where do control joints go in masonry walls?

In vertically reinforced masonry walls with masonry lintels, vertical control joints should be located between openings, or at least 24-inches away from the opening – not to exceed 25-feet on-center (Figure 1).

What types of movement joints are required in a concrete masonry wall?

Masonry movement joints may be described as one of three types: expansion joints, contraction or control joints, and isolation joints. Expansion joints (EJs) are used to accommodate volume expansion of clay masonry.

Why are movement joints in masonry non bearing walls important?

Control joints are typically required in exposed above grade concrete masonry walls, where net aesthetic shrinkage cracking may detract from the appearance of the wall, and to limit moisture or air infiltration. … This TEK focuses on nonstructural cracking resulting from internal volume change of the concrete masonry.

What is the difference between expansion joint and control joint?

A control joint is a continuous vertical joint filled with mortar, but with a bond breaker on one side so that tensile stress cannot develop across the joint. … An expansion joint is a continuous vertical or horizontal joint, left completely free of mortar and filled with elastomeric sealant to keep it watertight.

How often do you need a movement joint in brickwork?

every third storey

What do you put in concrete expansion joints?

Foam backer rods act to fill in space between concrete joints so you don’t need to use a ton of self-leveling sealant. Here’s a BIG TIP: the diameter of the backer rod should be 1/8 inch larger than the width of your concrete expansion joint. This will ensure a water tight seal.